Saturday, March 10, 2007

What The Hell Kind Of Honeymoon Is This!?

Within two days of their marriage, a Houston man and woman committed suicide in separate incidents downtown.

Nils Aron Andersson, 25, and Cassy Ann Walton, 28, married Monday.

On Tuesday, Andersson was found dead about 2 a.m. in the parking garage of the Lofts at the Ballpark. Police said he died from a self-inflicted gunshot wound to the head at 2120 Texas.

Less than 48 hours later, Walton shot herself as Houston police officers tried to talk to her through the door of her apartment at the Post Rice Lofts, 909 Texas, authorities said.

Walton was pronounced dead at 7:45 p.m. Wednesday. The Harris County Medical Examiner's Office ruled both deaths suicides.

The couple represented part of Houston's growing downtown scene, where young people live, work and play hard.


Andersson was apparently in a car on the phone with his wife when he pulled the trigger, Powell said.

Cindy Michelle Walton said her sister suffered from bipolar disorder, a hereditary condition she shared with her mother, who committed suicide in October 2003.

Bipolar disorder, commonly called manic depression, is a brain disorder that causes shifts in mood, personality and the ability to function, according to the American Psychiatric Association.

Though she struggled with depression, Cassy Walton was a successful senior manager at JPMorgan, where she had worked for seven years, her sister said.


After Andersson killed himself, Cassy Walton was hospitalized Tuesday in a psychiatric care facility, her sister said. Although her doctor apparently put a 24-hour hold on Cassy Walton, her sister said she was released about 10:45 p.m. that night.

After her release, Cassy Walton purchased a 9 mm handgun from a sporting-goods store. She used that gun Wednesday night to kill herself, her sister said.

Copyright 2007 Houston Chronicle

------>>> Naturally it wasn't pointed out that Ms. Walton must of been a CHL holder because one can't just waltz into stores that sell guns and walk out after the purchase without prior 'approval'...

It shall be unlawful for any licensed importer, licensed manufacturer, or licensed dealer to sell, deliver, or transfer a firearm unless the federal firearms licensee receives notice of approval from a prescribed source approving the transfer.

Sale of a firearm by a federally licensed dealer must be documented by a federal form 4473, which identifies and includes other information about the purchaser, and records the make, model, and serial number of the firearm. Sales to an individual of multiple handguns within a five-day period require dealer notification to the Federal Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms. Violations of dealer record keeping requirements are punishable by a penalty of up to $1000 and one year's imprisonment.

From NRA-ILA: Federal Gun Laws

------>>> I feel for the families. Nothing is as frustrating as dealing with mental illness and absolutely nothing is as final as death. My mother was diagnosed with several mental disorders during her lifetime.....the one that made the most sense was bipolar. The meds now are so much better than the ones then. Having worked at developing a sense of humor and escaping the house when her rants became personal was the only way I survived my home life relatively unscathed. She tried to scath me a time or two. Enough about that though, don't want to get to personal about it all. May God grant them eternal rest and peace at last. Mom too.


Attila The Mom said...

Oh geez, this just makes me feel so ill.

On mornings when my Big Kid sleeps in (he's an early riser, like me), I have to go in and see if he's breathing.

It scares the heck out of me. :-(

TxGoodie said...

It's certainly not something you want to discover. I know that firsthand.