Thursday, March 09, 2006

I Can iPod!

That title sounds like I've learned how to can peas for something, but it means I broke down and bought myself a 4GB iPod Nano and I've been having fun putting music (MP3s) on it and trying to figure out all the nuances of the care and feeding of same. I've played with it long enough now to be able to tell you what I think.....

First, Apple needs some serious help writing their instruction booklets. Like a great many "techie" folks they don't remember what it's like to NOT know "techie" stuff. They assume, I guess, that everyone knows "stuff" and all they have to do is point them in the right direction. They'd be wrong. Now I don't want to brag, but I know some stuff. I'm comfortable around my computer, etc. and I've even been asked a time or two for help or advice, but by no stretch of even my imagination am I technologically literate in the finite sense. I like to say I know just enough to be dangerous to my CPU. In truth I know enough to scream for "help" when I'm out of my comfort zone. I do know how to "Google" and search my butt off online and that's what I ended up doing to master the iPod monster.

Second, Apple needs to be ashamed to sell a tiny box that holds much, much less than the 1,000 songs advertised without the ability to DELETE individual songs off of it without having to start from scratch. It took me "forever" to figure out that you can't delete songs off the thing. "They" don't tell you that anywhere in the alleged instructions.

However, all gripes aside, it is truly amazing that such great sound quality comes out of such a tiny package. It's doing just what I wanted it to do.....it's easy to tote and it holds all my favorite songs. I can walk around the house and pretend to be cleaning while dancing and singing....thank God the windows are heavily tinted and the walls are thick. Me and my Nano are quite the pair. It works flawlessly with iTunes too and that's the main reason I bought $i$t$ and not something more reasonably priced.

I'm going to buy a better set of headphones for it as I can't abide the "earpods"...my ears aren't shaped right or something and the "pods" are just annoying. I've got some headphones I've been using that proved to me that was the way to go and now I want something new and perhaps smaller or foldable. I'd also like a pouch to hang around my neck to put the Nano in. Ideally it'd be easy to see the dial for sound tweaks and such and keep the cords out of the way, but the main thing would be not having to worry about dropping the iPod and yet still use the earphones. If anyone knows of such a holder, please let me know. I might have to end up designing and constructing what I want. Uck. ....... or......

Better yet would be if "they'd" make some earphones that fit into the iPod "slot" and had the lanyard ability and then it'd be one neat little useful package. One could just hang the lanyard around their neck and put on the headphones and boogie! I'd like that a lot. Anyway, bottom line, I like the iPod Nano despite a wart here and there.

No comments: