Monday, November 14, 2005

My Olympus Christmas

I just gave myself my Christmas present early…..it’s an Olympus Evolt E-500 digital DSL camera and it’s a pip! It’s got way more megapixels (8!) than I’ll ever need and the capacity to allow me to expand creatively as my technique skills increase. The auto actually is auto and the auto focus is astounding…I honestly don’t think I could do it any better manually. I’ll need to learn the nuance of how to focus on tricky stuff….like a bug inside a window screen when I want the bug as the focus and not the individual wires, but that will come in time. At least NOW I don’t feel so frustrated trying to become a pro overnight like I had to when I had a Cannon Rebel last year. That sucker was so complicated that I ended up selling it off the first chance I got to recoup my dough.

I bought the camera with the two lens kit at Digitally Unique for only $831.00 drive-out …taxes and shipping included. I say “only” because the manufacturer suggested is $899.99.

The folks on the forums say that Olympus cameras are the best kept secrets in the photography world and I have to agree with that. This is the 4th one I’ve owned and they just get better and better for my needs. I read all I could find about this camera on Digital Photography Review and it sounded too good to be true, but after having it for only a few days I was sold. Here's another site of interest to see examples of this and other great cameras.


This was taken in my very own backyard using the camera's macro mode.

Oh, and one other thing that I think is vital - this camera, complete with the long lens and batteries and strap weighs practically nothing! It's not going to be a chore to lug it along wherever I go. True, it won't fit in my purse, but it would if I got a bigger one!

Now all I have to do is convince my family to let me photograph them. They get all weirded out if every hair isn't in place and they don't look Sunday-meetin' prime, but I know from the pictures I have of my daddy and my husband (both of whom are gone now...daddy 33 years TODAY and John 9 years in Dec.), you treasure any image that was captured in time. You'll never be the same as you are right this minute and the people that love you want to have mementoes to treasure when you can't pose any longer. So, come on, be a sport and say "CHEESE", please!

No comments: