Wednesday, September 26, 2007

That's What I Like To Hear!


I recently contacted my US Senators concerning H.R. 2640 and this is the response I got back from JOHN CORNYN ....



Thank you for contacting me about federal firearms laws. I appreciate having the benefit of your comments on this matter.

It is essential to safeguard the law-abiding citizen's right to own and use firearms designed for legitimate purposes such as hunting, target shooting, collecting, and self protection. Restricting this right runs counter to the intent of our Founding Fathers, who expressly guaranteed that citizens would retain the right to keep and bear arms.

As a former Texas Supreme Court Justice and Attorney General, I have firsthand knowledge of crime-fighting policies that work, and I believe that citizens' Second Amendment rights should not be restricted because of the actions of criminals. Rather, we must respect the rights of law-abiding citizens and focus our attention on the source of violent crime: criminals who use firearms to commit crimes. I believe that strictly enforcing the law and meting out longer sentences for career criminals and those who use firearms when committing crimes will reduce crime much more effectively than gun or equipment bans.

I appreciate the opportunity to represent Texans in the United States Senate, and you may be certain that I will continue working with my colleagues to uphold our Second Amendment rights. Thank you for taking the time to contact me.

Sincerely,

JOHN CORNYN
United States Senator



I know. It's a form reply. But it's still exactly what I wanted to hear/read! Heck, I'd send out form replies too if I got the volume of mail that those folks do.

The BEST part about it is living in Texas, as a rule, you don't have to worry about how the Senators are going to vote on gun issues. They KNOW how the majority of Texans feel about our privileges to own and bear arms. I still write though just to let them know I'm still alive, kicking, waving my flag and voting!

No comments: