Friday, February 29, 2008

More Tests Thanks To My Vegas Episode!

I made a trip to my cardiologist Wednesday and he had me go to the lab and give 5 vials of blood and a cup 'o piss for tests. I also got to go home with a Holter Monitoring device.

Today I was in his office from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. for a bunch more tests. I had a Carotid Ultrasound, an Abdominal Aortic Ultrasound, an Echocardiogram and a Nuclear Stress Test. They might of slipped another one or two tests in while I wasn't paying attention. I did get to scarf down TWO Dixie cups of Blue Bell vanilla ice cream for testing purposes and a package of peanut butter crackers from Dr. DeBauche's private stash because my blood sugar got low.

Monday I'll see him and hear what he thinks is the State of My Union, so to speak.

I made it nine minutes on the stress treadmill and that's up a minute from last year. I called a halt just short of the "having to run" speed....I'm not into running unless it's to catch the ice cream truck.




I've said it before and I'll say it again: I HEART my cardiologist! His name is Dr. Thomas DeBauche, M.D. and his office number is 281-890-8588.

He told me that when his name is Googled MY BLOG article on him comes up. Tickled me to death that he even knew that! He thanked me for my kind words, etc. and I muttered something about being kind of fond of him and how he saved my life.

Now I know good and proper that it wasn't JUST him that saved my life...it was HIM and GOD, but give me credit for knowing they are two separate entities. One being a deity and the One that gave my healer his strength and his incredible talent. I figure God's kind of busy and it's not easy to get in to see him, but Dr. DeBauche has never said he didn't have time to see me.

I like it that I've been going to his office since December 1996 and most of the staff is still the same. It's warm and comforting to been seen naked by people that know your name and that you have a history with. That means a lot to me. I quit a very good doctor one time solely because her staff got changed as much as her lab coats and after awhile it bugged me when they'd say "and have you been here before" every time I darkened the door. I'm on a first name basis with Cheryl, Ruby, Karen, Connie, Kathy & Donna. The newer staff will become familiar in time.

The other greatest part about going to my doctor is that even though he's got an impressive array of credentials and tons of education he made it through with a sense of humor and a delightful wit. He knows how to communicate with his patients and he explains anything that needs explaining. He's not shy about scratching his head and saying he doesn't know if he doesn't know and first and foremost he treats his women patients' conditions every bit as aggressively as he does his males. ALL of his patients love him too...I know because we talk among ourselves in the waiting room!

We are all so glad that he's OUR doctor, located in easy-to-get-to NW Houston and that we don't have to travel to the Medical Center, etc. He's going to build his own building too and that'll be cool for all concerned. He promised me that he won't retire before *I* do. Only in my case it'd be EXPIRE! I like to think he considers me his friend too.



How I Spent My Vegas Vacation

Dogs & Hearts - My Own Story

1 comment:

Attila the Mom said...

Hope everything is ok!

xoxo