Monday, July 30, 2007

ADDITIONAL: Introducing LUCY To My Humble Abode & You!

This is Lucy! Her "kennel" name was "Jasmine" and she doesn't respond to that any more than she does "Lucy" so I thought what the heck I'll call her what I like! She's somewhere between 15 and 17 pounds and around 15" high at the shoulders. She carries her tail as a plume when she's running. She has only been with me for 24 hours, but I think she's pretty much housebroken - at least she hasn't attempted to "go" in the house and she 'cops a squat' when we go outside. She's going to sleep in Cody's huge kennel at night just because it's the best place for her IMHO. Right now we're working on how doggies do NOT get on the furniture or the bed (mine!) or take flying leaps into my lap from across the room with little or no warning. She also needs to know that any contest of wills is already decided..... I'm bigger and stronger! Mom wins, thanks for playing. She might be smarter, only time will tell.....







After checking the SPCA and CAPS and finding nothing I was interested in I gave my vet a call and was told about the Prestonwood Kennels, home to the Poodle Rescue organization. This is the picture of "Jasmine" that was online...



Lucy was "strong positive" for heartworm disease as well as being positive for microfilaria. She was picked up by Harris County Animal control and ended up at the poodle rescue place. Lucky girl! She's current on all the shots including rabies. If it hadn't of been for the info from my vet I'd of never know this place existed! Funny how stuff like that works, isn't it!


She's going to the groomers tomorrow and the vet Wednesday. I'm hoping the groomers can clean up her mouth gunk a bit and the vet can tell me that her heartworms are gone and she's otherwise healthy. I'd also like to narrow down her age. I was told she was 2 and then got her and the paperwork home and found out the shelter's vet says 4. I'll settle for 3 if it's up for debate!

She's a sweet dog and loves loving, but she does have a mind of her own. She's asleep right here at my feet and has been sticking to me like glue so it's not going to take long for her to find her place in our small pack of 2!


This Just In!

Lucy went to the vet today and he agrees she's probably 4 years of age, but said her teeth look real good so I can say she's 3 if I want. He also wanted to know HOW I knew she was spayed. I said "they said so". He said "did THEY do it"? I said "I don't think so. I checked the papers and it doesn't say she had any surgery during the time they had her". So she might NOT be "fixed". I went to the Kennels and they couldn't say how they knew either. My vet couldn't say she was and yet couldn't rule out she wasn't. He couldn't find a healed scar. The Kennels say they'll get her fixed IF she comes in heat and that it should be within the next 6 months. Great. Just great. She weighs 16 pounds. Her heart, lungs and tummy all checked out okay. She's on antibiotics for 7 days because she keeps licking her nether region and might have some kind of urinary tract problem possibly as a result of the heartworm treatments.

I didn't notice before but the paperwork from Harris County says she's Standard Poodle and Lhasa Apso. The vet said she also had terrier in her and to prove THAT point she snarled and almost snapped at him! She had been doing fine and then just went a little nuts!

She was adopted once and then brought back....the snappy part might be the reason, plus the way she goes off when she sees other dogs. She sounds like a Tasmanian devil dog! I'm fairly certain all she really needs is some stability and boundaries. She'll NEVER be Cody, but she can be a good dog if given the chance.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

She looks more like a "Chim Chim" to me. ;)

Attila the Mom said...

Aww, what a beauty!!!

Lainey said...

What a cute girl!

Elvis and Presley say 'Hi, Lucy'!