Sunday, April 16, 2006

Our Easter Bunny Lays Tacos!

I'll be heading out soon for the big Easter do at number one child's casa. She's serving traditional Easter tacos for dinner and my mouth is already watering. I guess maybe not a lot of people celebrate Easter with tacos, but she comes from a long line of non-traditional holiday meal makers. Well, ok, actually it began with ME, but, hey, you have to start tradition somewhere.

I used to ask them what they wanted and nine times out of ten they'd say "chickenfried steak" and off I'd go to the grocery store for their Thanksgiving or Christmas or Easter meal makings. I'd MAKE them eat blackeyed peas on New Year's Day, but the rest of the holidays it was pretty much mob rule.

It wasn't so bad for me either. For instance, I'd be nonchalantly perusing the tenderized round steaks while the rest of the hoards were vying for the biggest turkeys or the plumpest hams. It'd be like a cartoon with arms and legs and poultry parts flying up in the air and me down on the other end looking amused. Not to mention there is nothing tastier than chickenfried steak and mashed potatoes with cream gravy.....it's a staple meal in Texas too!

My husband would just love it when I'd fix "old dead cow" and after an exhaustive study on the subject I could find no evidence that it was required that only certain food choices could be served at holiday gatherings.....so, what the heck, life's too short to spend it stuffing a turkey's butt if what you really want is BBQ ribs and coldslaw! Happy Easter, everybunny!

2 comments:

Attila the Mom said...

My son has decided to move in with you.

A mom who will make Chicken-Fried steak and mashed-potatoes for holidays is a mom worth having! LOL

<---I'm going to go sulk now.

Hope you had a great Easter!

TxGoodie said...

"My son has decided to move in with you."

I'd be happy to take in Attila The Son!

Very nice Easter. My daughter had a Tres Leches (Three Milk) cake and it was sinful! Someone brought deviled eggs too and that's one of my many weaknesses... I spent the evening feeling like a tick!
;-)