Tuesday, April 11, 2006

Johnny Lee At Sam Houston Race Park





Me and two of my three plus one went to see Johnny Lee Saturday at Sam Houston Race Park. We almost missed his performance because we were wandering around inside trying to decide what to do next and he had cranked it up on the "front porch". He'd had a spot of trouble because his band's bus had broken down or something and the Race Park folks had to fly just him in and leave his band stranded by the wayside. The folks he played with did a decent job of it and he sounded great. All I wanted to hear was Looking For Love and he sounded exactly like HIM on that take! I know that probably doesn't make sense, but I like it a lot when someone sounds like they should. You play their song and get used to the way it's supposed to sound and don't like it when they change the arrangment or do extras to make it "better".



The best part was the horses. I've always loved to look at horses and I used to own one when I was about a hundred years younger. She was my best friend and the only reason I'm almost sane today. Horses are like really big dogs. You can tell them stuff and they don't repeat it. Mine followed me around like a puppy dog and responded when I'd hollar "Beebee" while walking up the road to the stables. I'd hear her whinnying and snorting and shuffling her feet getting all excited at the break in her day.... me .... and some sweet feed or alfalfa hay or just the chance to stretch her legs and see something different while we road all over the area. Ah, those were the days.

However, back to the track (or would that be back ON track), I think the 2nd or 3rd best part was that the whole enchilada was FREE! During April you get FREE parking and FREE admission! That's way cool! The grounds are just beautiful with all kinds of flowers blooming and they've got two adorable little donkeys out where kids can pet them and old folks can photograph them. I bought a bottle of water and it was only $2.25 and that's not shoddy considering some of the rips folks do at these venues in Houston. The Park is right close to where I live so it's no biggie to get there, but even if we had to drive across town it would of been worth it. Check it out, it's FREE and you don't have to gamble if you don't want to....none of us did.

No comments: