Wednesday, September 07, 2005

A Single Dove

They say “one is the loneliest number” and they are right.



All my life I’ve heard that doves mate for life. I’ve been Googling today and can’t confirm that, but I did find some interesting Dove Sites. What I didn’t realize was that it’s not “morning dove”, like I’ve always thought, its by-God “Mourning dove”! No wonder they release them at funerals! There are links all over the WWW for funeral releases.

I have one sweet little dove that lives in my yard. I’ve seen her time and time again. I think she is a widow because she is always by herself and in with a flock of sparrows. Years ago I remember seeing a dove grieving by the side of the road, watching over the dead body of another dove. I just knew that was her mate lying there. I don't know if this is the same dove or not, but she reminds me of me. I’ve been single, through no choice of my own, for nine years come December 17, 2005. Right now, when fall is in the air, I get melancholy and miss him as much now as the day he went away. A bucket or so of tears will fall and then I’ll pick myself up and dust myself off and keep going because that’s all a single dove can do.

Here’s my favorite picture of my sweetie …..

No comments: