Friday, August 19, 2005

What's The Deal With Wooden Floors?

I don't get it. When I was growing up and newly married, wooden floors were all there was for living rooms and bedrooms. Now one might have a throw rug or two or even some blends of brown lenths of rope-looking stuff that coiled around and around on itself to make a braided rug, but wood floors were standard. Perhaps rich people had Persian carpet...I don't know though because none of them ever invited me to their houses to see. But, back to wood floors, they are difficult to take care. They scuff and scratch and are not at all comfortable to sit upon. The best thing I can remember about them was that they do bounce a jack ball nicely when playing jacks. When one was "movin' on up", you got wall to wall carpet! Now that was a sign of prosperity! The deeper the plush the more dough you had "invested" and the more impressed your guest. It seems like a giant Mother-may-I step backward to revert to hard to care for wooden floors.

No comments: