Thursday, August 30, 2007

The Cure For Diabetes Type II Is Here & Drastic!

I read with great interest an article from Medical News Today on gastric bypass surgery as a treatment for diabetes type II.

In my own case and in the case of my daughter who had the RNY surgery 3 years before me, diabetes type II is gone. My recent A1C test was consider NORMAL and the one before that was better than its ever been. I've written before (see links to RNY) about how I didn't expect my diabetes to vanish when I consider the surgery. I was told due to my age and physical conditions and length of time I've had the disease, blah, blah, blah I couldn't expect what someone younger, blah, blah, blah would. I weighed all the pros and cons and went for it. I'd do it again tomorrow. Heck, I do it again TODAY.

Neither my diabetes doctor nor my cardiologist told me beforehand that the surgery was the cure. I don't know if they can't due to some kind of doctor rule or if they didn't know, but it's not just about how little a person can eat after the surgery, it's about tweaking the gut so sugar is handled differently and certain bad hormones are thwarted. Afterwards you just don't handle sugar and fat the same way you did before. I can honestly say now I don't "do" French fries and I don't miss them. They don't even taste the same. They taste like crap......if I'd ever knowingly eaten crap for comparison that is. They taste like crap PROBABLY tastes. French fries are just one of the examples of foods that are self limited and since they have no food value to begin with it's a win-win from day one.

The article has medco folks jumping up and down about how you can't call the surgery the cure and that doctors and hospitals will make bank on it. Well I've got a news flash for that. The cost of traditional treatments for diabetes type II will suck the last dollar you own out of your bank account. And the doctors that treat diabetes aren't exactly poorfolk! Diabetes type II is a cashcow!

"They" say it's too early to recommend the surgery as the primary treatment and I agree. They also say there have been complications of the surgery and that's true. You HAVE to go into it with your eyes open and weigh your individual options and concerns. You HAVE to go to a good surgeon who has experience with the procedure. You HAVE to be prepared to take your life by the tail, turn it upside down and shake it vigorously. You are never going to be the same afterward. Your life is going to be drastically and permanently altered.

I gladly traded my insulin needles and seven injections a day for tiny portions and self awareness of what exactly I'm putting into my little pouch of a stomach. I give up French fries happily and the bloated, gas producing, heartburn inducing side effects they caused BEFORE the surgery.

For my money, gastric bypass surgery is the CURE for diabetes type II. It's also helping my heart for me to be more active and lose weight. My ONLY regret is that I didn't do this years and years ago! The younger the better!

No comments: