Friday, December 30, 2005

I'm In The Near-Elderly Category!

I'm a near-elderly woman, at least according to the article on life expectancy and aging here. I've never heard the term "near-elderly" before, but I suspect it has something to do with the fact that "The 55-to-64 age group is expected to rise from 29 million Americans in 2004 to 40 million in 2014. That is because of the baby boom, the explosion of births during the prosperous postwar period between 1946 and 1964". I'm not sure if I like that term or not. Does it mean pre-old? Or does it mean no-longer-young? I've made many references on this blog about my age.....
1. Take That, You Young Whippersnappers
2. Does That Make Me The Oldest Now?
...but even though I call myself "old" I don't really mean it. The older you get the younger you think you are! The young think I'm old. The older think I'm young. Go figure! Maybe it's one of those grass-is-greener deals where depending on which decade you're in decides how you feel about young or old age?
The great equalizer is your health. Again the young think they are bullet-proof and the "near-elderly" with health issues know differently. As we age we lose our parents and our siblings and then our friends and it begins to dawn on us how fragile life is and how fleeting. I've mentioned my own issues in my post Get Checked. I guess in the long run labels about longevity don't mean squat....it's the realization that every day your eyes open up is a good day!

No comments: