Wednesday, December 21, 2005

Ash Began To Sass

I'm was surprised that Astro's announcer Alan Ashby's contract wasn't renewed, but I understand the need for new blood behind the mike. During the playoffs and World Series, in my humble opinion, Mr. Ashby went nuts. He was talking trash about everyone. That's just not done by the Astros.

I used to grit my teeth I'd get so sick of hearing all of our radio announcers make nice, nice about players on other teams that I couldn't stand, but I understood that was the way it had to be. You can't go around making enemies and talking trash when you are reporting the play by play. Even if you are doing color commentary, which I believe Mr. Ashby's job was, you've got to think about what you say and how it might come back to haunt you some day. I can't remember anything specific he said, of course, but I remember being shocked that he was being overly harsh in his comments about the Astros.

He had his glory days catching some of the Astro's best pitchers and earned his way into the history books, but he never went to the World Series and how dare he criticize those that did and then fell short. Surely he didn't think the guys weren't doing all they could to look better than they did? Bottom line, he forgot the most important rule: if you can't say anything nice about someone, then just keep your pie hole closed.

No comments: